History: Hawthorn was first mentioned medicinally in the ‘Tang Ben Cao’, a Chinese herbal back in 659 A.D. The Greeks and the Romans have used it for problems of the heart since the 1stcentury A.D. It has been a symbol of fertility and said to offer protection from lightning for centuries, during the middle ages it was also seen as a symbol of hope.
Hawthorn Berries are listed as having the following Properties:
- Cardiac tonic: – having overall beneficial action on the heart and circulatory system
- Diuretic: – increases the excretion of water from bodies
- Astringent: – encourages skin cells to contract
- Mild Sedative: – promoting calm or inducing sleep
- Antioxidant: – inhibits oxidation that produces free radicals which cause damage to the cells
- “As a cardiac tonic in organic and functional heart troubles – (A Modern Herbal – Mrs. M. Grieve F.R.H.S.)
- They are also helpful in cases of poor peripheral circulation and tendency to develop oedema.
- Useful in decoction to cure sore throats
- The berries have a fresh taste and make a useful addition to hedgerow jams and jellies, they contain Vitamin B complex and Vitamin C.
- Also used to make vinegar, wine and steeped in brandy they make a tasty liqueur
- Hawthorn berries are commonly crushed and used to ease diarrhoea, dysentery, and kidney disorders.
Our Hawthorn is:
- Wildcrafted and sustainably harvested in Hungary
- Not heat treated or irradiated and does not contain GMO’s
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
Allergens: Nuts, gluten, celery, milk/dairy and mustard are handled on the site where this product is processed. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the product supplied.
Caution: As with many fruits the seeds contain cyanide and must be removed prior to consumption. Use enough boiling water to just cover the berries and allow them to re-hydrate by absorbing the liquid, they will then be soft enough for the seed to be removed before use.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.