Latin Name: Crataegus monogyna
Other Names: May, Mayblossom, Hagthorn, Mayflower, Ladies Meat, Bread and Cheese Tree & Quick Thorn.
Hawthorn Leaf is listed as having the following Properties:
- Cardiac tonic: – having overall beneficial action on the heart and circulatory system
- Astringent: – encourages skin cells to contract
- Diuretic: – increases the excretion of water from bodies
- Mild Sedative: – promoting calm or inducing sleep
- Antioxidant: – inhibits oxidation that produces free radicals which cause damage to the cells
- Young leaves & shoots can be eaten raw in salads.
- The easiest method of using Hawthorn is to use the leaves to make a tea/tissane.
- When used in herbal medicine they treat heart and circulatory disorders, migraine, menopausal conditions, angina, and insomnia.
- In many traditional medicines, hawthorn is used for certain psychological conditions, including stress, anxiety and even depression.
Our Hawthorn Leaf is:
- Wildcrafted and sustainably harvested in Hungary
- Not heat treated or irradiated and does not contain GMO’s
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
Active Ingredient and Substances: Hawthorn contains around 1-2% flavonoids, oligomeric proanthocyanidins (1-3%), saponins, phenolic acids (chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid), 2-(2-Phenylethyl)chromone derivatives (in the flowers, leaves and buds), amine (phenethylamine, metoksyfenetylamin, dopamine, acetylcholine and tyramine) and triterpenes based on ursolic acid and oleanolic acid.
As with most herbs, it is not one specific substance that is responsible for the effects of hawthorn but the interaction of different chemicals present in the herb.
Allergens: Nuts, gluten, celery, milk/dairy and mustard are handled on the site where this product is processed. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the product supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.
You will find a video on the Hawthorn on our page Lore Keepers