Latin Name: Verbascum thapsus
Plant Family: Scrophulariaceae
Other Names: Common Mullein, Great Mullein, Candlewick, Candelaria, Feltwort, Hare’s Beard, Blanket Mullein, Quaker Rouge, Torches, Our Lady’s Flannel, Velvet Dock, Blanket Herb, Aaron’s Rod, Feltwort, Fluffweed, Old Man’s Flannel & Hag’s Taper.
Mullein is listed as having the following properties:
- Demulcent: – (a substance) relieving inflammation or irritation
- Emollient: – has the quality of softening or soothing the skin
- Astringent: – encourages skin cells to contract
- Expectorant: – promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages
- Suppressant: – substance which acts to suppress or restrain
- Antiviral:- kills or prevents the growth of viruses
- Mullein has traditionally been used for respiratory disorders – asthma, coughs, tuberculosis;
- The leaves are used to make a bitter tea.
- The listed antiviral properties have been reported as useful against herpes and influenza (although clinical research is lacking).
- Two of its common names; Candlewick and Candelaria, come from its traditional use as a means to provide lighting by way of coating the dried stems with animal fat. The hairy coating from the leaves was also collected and used to make lamp wicks before cotton became the more popular choice.
Our Mullein is:
- Wildcrafted and sustainably harvested
- Not heat treated or irradiated & free from GMO’s
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
Allergens: Nuts, gluten, celery, milk/dairy and mustard are handled on the site where this product is processed. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the product supplied.
Cautions: There are no known cautions for Mullein, however it is recommended that if pregnant or breastfeeding any product should be avoided.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.