Scientific Name: Ligusticum porteri – Osha Root is related to the European Lovage (Levisticum officinale) but is a different plant.
Other Names: Porter’s lovage, Porter’s licorice-root, lovage, wild lovage, loveroot, Porter’s ligusticum, bear medicine, bear root, Colorado cough root.
Parts Used: roots
Osa Root is listed as having the following Properties:
- Antiviral – effective against viruses
- Antibacterial – active against bacteria
- Anti-inflammatory – reduces inflammation
- Antispasmodic – used to relieve spasm of involuntary muscle
- Expectorant – promotes the secretion of sputum by the air passages, used to relieve coughs
- Diaphoretic – inducing perspiration
- Emetic – causing vomiting
- Analgesic – acting to relieve pain
- Vasodilator – promotes the dilatation of blood vessels
- Diuretic – causing increased passing of urine
- Febrifuge – used to reduce fever
- Emmenagogue – substance that stimulates or increases menstrual flow
Osha Root Benefits:
- bacterial and viral respiratory infections including
- the flu
- sinus infection
- H1N1 Influenza A
- sore throat
- Other viral infections including herpes and HIV
- Purification when burnt as an incense
Our Osha Root is:
- Wildcrafted (grown naturally & without pollutants) and sustainably harvested.
- Not irradiated or heat treated and free from GMO’s.
- Product should be infused in boiling water before consumption.
- A certificate of analysis is available for this product if required.
Cautions for Osha Root: Should not be used during pregnancy as can cause abortion, or breast-feeding.
Allergens: Nuts, gluten, celery, milk/dairy and mustard are handled on the site where this product is processed. Handling procedures are in place to reduce the likelihood of allergens being present, but we cannot guarantee our ingredients are totally free of traces in the product supplied.
Information provided in the Herbal Apothecary is from the ‘folk herbalist’ tradition and does not pretend to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease or condition. Celtic Earth Spirit advises you to consult a medical professional before trying any herbal product.